Friday, December 11, 2009

No Cocoa for Coco Lovers


Since the only people who read this blog are my friends and family, I don't need to spend much time telling you why I haven't posted since November 18. This little thing called my job got in my way most of the time. Sixty-two research papers, 186 tests, and 124 reader responses later, I need to be back in my own writing groove, rather than jiving (and sometimes writhing) to middle school rhetoric!

I have to admit that most nights I have fallen asleep with the book on my face, but I've slogged my way through Savoir Flair! by Polly Platt. Written in 2000, it's subtitled "211 Tips for Enjoying France and the French" and that's exactly what it is about. I have learned from Platt that the French are going to hate me; I'm friendly, laugh and talk loudly, I don't speak French, and as Jessie and my dad would say, I'm a very sturdy German girl and I will never be able to fit into a real Chanel suit.

I had a fake Chanel suit once, which I practically wore out because I loved it so much. I still have my fake Chanel quilted handbag with the chain strap, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't carry a plastic "Chanel" handbag in Paris. It came as quite a blow to me to learn that I will never actually own a real Chanel suit, even if someday I get rich.

I learned from Savoir Flair! that Chanel was not designing for my body type. Apparently the required French body should have very small shoulders and a petite waistline, and there isn't petite bone in my body, despite my short stature.

Several of my students wrote their research papers on French culture and I learned a lot about Coco Chanel from these sources as well as from Platt's book. It's interesting how life always seems to have its parallels. Despite my disappointment, I still enjoyed learning about Chanel. Her story is very interesting and you might want to see the recent movie about her, Coco before Chanel.

Since life's parallels show up in the most unexpected places, this morning we had French breakfast -- cheese and baguettes and chocolate mousse accompanied by a French chanteuse on a DVD player. We had several student teachers leaving today to return to universities and homes, and one of them declared it a French spirit day. We were to dress up in French attire. Following the lead of Evelyn in A Year in Provence, I wore a smashing silk scarf around my neck, attached with a brooch. I felt it was appropriate spirit day attire for a "woman of a certain age."

I also learned from Savoir Flair! that muggers grab Chanel glasses and sunglasses right off tourists' faces. Apparently there's a black market for recycled Chanel frames. See how powerful books are? Who would have known that? Do you think they will grab my Ed Hardy glasses or will they be too tacky even for muggers? I guess time will tell. Au revoir for now.

1 comment:

Lala said...

"Sturdy German girls" might be my favorite euphemism ever.